Friday 22 April 2022

Interesting Jeppe History - Treasure Hunting under the Library Floor

Very exciting, the Library at Jeppe Boys is getting a "Futuristic" make-over to a cutting-edge Innovation Centre .When I popped in for a visit on Friday afternoon I saw that they had pulled up some floorboards.  I couldn't resist and I had to see if there were any treasures tucked away in a 132 year dusk layer.

I found a few  treasures:




1.  School issued 45 degree square.  Engraved "T.E.D., J H S, Made in England".  Several names have  been etched into the ruler.  

ELVIS

JENNIFER

ROAN

T BOYCE

FROG

GERI

MARLENE

B WELMAN

A FOXCROFT

HILARY

M HYDE

PAT

BG

RODD



Mr Robbins kindly searched the "Old Boys" Database for me.  He only found 1 name that appeared there.  Morris Hyde.  He was the Soccer captain in 1931 and the Vice Cricket Captain.



Below is a photograph of the Soccer Team in 1931.  Morris Hyde is holding the Shield


Looks like this was a school issued drawing square.  Custom made for Jeppe High School for Boys.  Mr Hyde etched his name in 1930's, then a long line of other Jeppe Boys continued the trend .  Some documenting their current girlfriend/s or favorite singer.
I think it fell through the floorboards in the 1950's and remained untouched until I found it last week.  It's almost a 100 year's old.


2.  Old pencils:

VENUS - Made in England - Venus Pencil Co. Ltd 3810 3H circa 1950

KIRKIN - Made in Japan - KIRKIN Neg 57 HB circa 1980's

* A.B. STIFTET* Made in Sweden 5H  "T.P.A printed in gold on other side "Transvaal Provincial Administration"? circa 1920's?

VENDOR - Made in Germany Eberhard Faber 2200 3H circa 1920's "Vaal Education Department", printed in gold on the other side

3.  Parker Jotter with Navy blue barrel.  Circa 1980's.  A real Jeppe Boy's pen.  Chewed up and the clip is broken off.

4.  A Bus Ticket for 10c.

5.  Vintage Staedtler ruler - made in Germany.

6.  Vintage pencil sharpener - made in Hong Kong.


So, unfortunately no "pounds'.  But I would still like to investigate the dust layer in detail before they start construction there.

Who knows what is hiding in the dust!!



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Found on the Folly - Interesting Jeppe History - Mysterious object, help me find out what it is?

I nteresting object found on the Folly.  It is attracted by a magnet and very rusted.  Measures 10.5 cm x 6 cm. I am stumped!  It reminds me...